United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 01-06-2023, 02:00 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
Would rather have Rice and/or Madison if we're insistent on signing overrated English midfielders
No you wouldn't. You will see in short order.
Madison would be an absolutely terrible fit in this team. Terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
I thought he looked a good player a few years ago, I’m not sure what’s happened to him recently?
Double digits in the league last season. Lot of injuries this season plus Chelsea in turmoil - which says nothing (eg Kovacic who couldn't crack a game being picked up by Pep who'll no doubt make him look a worldbeater again in the system).

As already mentioned Mount would have been our 2nd or 3rd top scorer this year in every other league season he's played. We need goals. Will also help vastly with the press, esp away from home.

Unread 01-06-2023, 07:20 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen

Double digits in the league last season. Lot of injuries this season plus Chelsea in turmoil - which says nothing (eg Kovacic who couldn't crack a game being picked up by Pep who'll no doubt make him look a worldbeater again in the system).

As already mentioned Mount would have been our 2nd or 3rd top scorer this year in every other league season he's played. We need goals. Will also help vastly with the press, esp away from home.
Look out Simon Stone and the fat man

Unread 01-06-2023, 07:40 AM
dinger

I’d have Rabiot before this guy

Unread 01-06-2023, 07:50 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I do this regularly.

The idea of this is growing on me. If Erik wants him, so be it. Ridiculous fee, but good to see us getting stuff done early.

Unread 01-06-2023, 07:59 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He definitely improves us.
I agree. Good with the ball, tonnes of energy and isn't Fred, The Scottish Player etc. If it goes through, it's a good start.

Unread 01-06-2023, 08:00 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I agree. Good with the ball, tonnes of energy and isn't Fred, The Scottish Player etc. If it goes through, it's a good start.
Ten Hag wanted him at Ajax too. Clearly a long-term admirer. I’m not a big fan of Mount, but it’s the right profile of player and it’s one of those where I want ETH to get his targets.

I think he comes in as a Fred replacement, so it’s an improvement there.

Unread 01-06-2023, 08:10 AM
Vedder

If he’s one of 4/5 then great. There’s a reason he’s a primary target and Erik wants this wrapped up so quick. Quite nice to see us act so quick tbh.

Unread 01-06-2023, 08:15 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
If he’s one of 4/5 then great. There’s a reason he’s a primary target and Erik wants this wrapped up so quick. Quite nice to see us act so quick tbh.
Pretty sure we haven’t acted yet pal. It’s just newspaper talk. Once it’s done we can pat them on the back.

Unread 01-06-2023, 09:44 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
this is why we need a director of football.

ETH talent ID is the worst.
you're an utter embarrassment

Unread 01-06-2023, 09:45 AM
windy waffles

Was being stalked by some bird who has been locked up apparently.

No wonder he wants to move as far away from London as he can.

Bit of a 'meh' but he's a definite squad upgrade so why not.

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:13 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
Thanks for telling me what my opinion really is, pal. Appreciate that.

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:17 AM
NedKelly

Quote:

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:18 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:37 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:40 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Ten Hag wanted him at Ajax too. Clearly a long-term admirer. I’m not a big fan of Mount, but it’s the right profile of player and it’s one of those where I want ETH to get his targets.

I think he comes in as a Fred replacement, so it’s an improvement there.
This.

I think he’ll replace Eriksen in the team

Eriksen doesn’t have the legs to start three games a week.

Quote:

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:52 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
This.

I think he’ll replace Eriksen in the team

Eriksen doesn’t have the legs to start three games a week.

Not even so much a replacement. Just a different option. We know the players who aren’t up to standard and he doesn’t trust. That’ll make Eriksen, Mount and Casemiro as ‘his players’. Hopefully another midfielder in there too. Even if it’s Rabiot on the cheap. That’s a solid four and maybe The Scottish Player to stick around. Add a proper striker, some competition for De Gea and a new CB and we’re laughing.

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:54 AM
windy waffles

That's the end of Donny then...?

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:57 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Happy to oblige - better for you to know now than to wear pie on your face after the fact, what with bracketing Madison + Mount as similar players.

Cas, Bruno, Mount, Rashers, Anthony + legit goal scoring CF .. ball-retaining pressing machine ..

Unread 01-06-2023, 10:58 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
That's the end of Donny then...?

Unread 01-06-2023, 11:44 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
My guess is he’d be signed as an alternative to Eriksen and an upgrade on Fred.

It’s an unspectacular one, but there’s appealing attributes: he’s good on the ball, creative, lots of energy and presses well. Good work rate.

I kinda get it.

The fee is an issue though. If he was out of contract, fine, but his deal is up next summer and he’s seemingly less than favoured there atm. We shouldn’t be paying upwards of £50m. It’s the English premium too. When you’re on a budget (which we are until we know otherwise) then trying to sign English players like him, Kane and rice is going to drain funds.

And even with him, we’d still need a more defensive minded midfielder. Perhaps Rabiot if he’s a freebie.
Not comparing them as players but Carrick wasn't considered a spectacular signing. Love to see how fredsters would have reacted to us signing him.

If you go cheap, you'll end up hoping for a bit of pot luck - Park vs Djemba, Kleberson, Obertan. Benitez moaned about Fergie's funds but he spent the same just on 5 times as many players. If he'd have stuck with big money signings like he made with Torres, he'd have done better. But ETH has to be in a decent place to pick a couple of bargains up from the Dutch league rather than going big on players.