Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: which was worse ?
sexton era 6 28.57%
moyes/LvG era 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM
shenwen

Sexton was when I first started going to games so absolutely loved it. Didn’t care about winning. Most of the times didn’t even watch the games. Just loved the atmosphere.

Saying that, 79 cup final probably my first experience of euphoria followed by immediate heartbreak

Moyes was just ridiculous. But there also were moments during LVG’s time where for the first time ever I couldn’t even be arsed watching games.

Unread 07-03-2018, 12:15 PM
sa7

Moyes/LVG era.

At least the Sexton era had sex in it

Unread 07-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth

His sacking was one of my all time favourite United supporting memories. Celebrated it more than Moscow 08 nqat.

Unread 07-03-2018, 12:47 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Can't remember Sexton, but Moyes was the worst mangerial appointment of all time.

There was just so much wrong with it. So many top class managers changed clubs that summer and we ended up with David Moyes. Supported by the media and pundits, backed by his sycophantic press buddies. Reds trying to justify and defend him and his appointment - even the usually merciless Red Issue mag were in the "give him time" camp.

"He needs time," "transition period," "it was always gonna be difficult" "he needs two years at least" - ready made excuses for every. single. failure. (and there were plenty) and all backed up by a nauseating and arrogant 6 (S.I.X) year contract - there was just a desperate hopelessness to it all.

His sacking was one of my all time favourite United supporting memories. Celebrated it more than Moscow 08 nqat.

Extremely harsh on King Louis to lump him in with Moyes ffs.
This.

Moyes

David £#%&!ing Moyes...

Still don't understand what the club were thinking

Unread 07-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Still don't understand what the club were thinking

Unread 07-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Rorschach

I was just getting into United under Sexton, so had little to compare to.

By LvG's second season, I'd had a ST for a quarter century and done the lot with United but he took the last bit of joy out of going to OT. I lasted a year under Mourinho and whilst the football was certainly better, the joy was long gone and I binned the ST.

There were many factors in getting to this point but the final one was the joyless @#%&! LvG. The club were pretty shoddy in how they sacked him as he did the lap of honour with the FA Cup but it was no less than he deserved. £#%&! him.

Unread 07-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Wellinever

Sexton was a lovely fella but it was like watching paint dry!
Butch Wilkins and the 'sideways shuffle' was invented around this time, still makes an appearance at OT... now and then!

Unread 07-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Sexton was when I first started going to games so absolutely loved it. Didn’t care about winning. Most of the times didn’t even watch the games. Just loved the atmosphere.

Saying that, 79 cup final probably my first experience of euphoria followed by immediate heartbreak

Moyes was just ridiculous. But there also were moments during LVG’s time where for the first time ever I couldn’t even be arsed watching games.

Was going to mention the 79 cup final(even though we lost it was a roller coaster of emotions that day)and back then even getting to a cup final was big for a club.
Lvg won the thing and got sacked that's how times have changed so it's a bit unfair to compare the two eras.

The Moyes era was the worst by far and combined with previous under investment in the squad (2009-2013)

we still haven't recovered fully from the way the club has been run by the gimps/woody over the last 5-8 years

Unread 07-03-2018, 05:23 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Sexton, because of the older reds it produced that don’t stop harping on about it.....
Yes, despite my well known opinion of Gollum I still voted the other option, as it happened during my formative years.

You don't forget that

Unread 07-03-2018, 08:40 PM
denis lawless

I think the lesson learnt is "don't hire anyone called David or Dave as manager in future

Unread 07-03-2018, 08:49 PM
no fun

O’Farrell

Unread 07-03-2018, 08:54 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
O’Farrell
Frankly

Unread 07-03-2018, 09:27 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
O’Farrell
Didn't really have an "era" tbh....more of an error.

Need to have been here for more than 5 minutes......thats why I lumped moyes and LvG together to create an era.

Btw.....Francis OF is still around....91 next October

Unread 07-03-2018, 09:39 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach
I was just getting into United under Sexton, so had little to compare to.

By LvG's second season, I'd had a ST for a quarter century and done the lot with United but he took the last bit of joy out of going to OT. I lasted a year under Mourinho and whilst the football was certainly better, the joy was long gone and I binned the ST.

There were many factors in getting to this point but the final one was the joyless @#%&! LvG. The club were pretty shoddy in how they sacked him as he did the lap of honour with the FA Cup but it was no less than he deserved. £#%&! him.
Word - absolutely joyless attending during that period as there was nothing whatsoever to maintain your interest. It was mad for most of the 70’s/80’s and the expectations were painfully low. So not arsed and spend every Saturday going berserk.

Lvg all day long. Easily the most disappointing- expected nothing from Moyes- was told we had a genius with lvg and it was awful. Miserable tepid shite with very few notable exceptions.

Can’t say the current regime is enthralling either. All a bit shit if truth be told.

Unread 07-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Word - absolutely joyless attending during that period as there was nothing whatsoever to maintain your interest. It was mad for most of the 70’s/80’s and the expectations were painfully low. So not arsed and spend every Saturday going berserk.

Lvg all day long. Easily the most disappointing- expected nothing from Moyes- was told we had a genius with lvg and it was awful. Miserable tepid shite with very few notable exceptions.

Can’t say the current regime is enthralling either. All a bit shit if truth be told.
All of this. What gets lost is that LVG had more support on here than I ever remember Fergie having, people turned because they expected so much more, most of us remembered Ajax '95, his Barcelona teams, balls on the table etc and instead we got a shell, much harder to accept than Moyes who people hoped would do well but didn't expect to.

Was a bit more caveat emptor with Mou after his last Chelsea season, results have improved but joy has been harder to find, win our next three though...

Unread 07-03-2018, 09:51 PM
no fun

No fan of LVG but let’s not forget (a) there was the occasional decent performance, and (b) he won a trophy

Moyes on the other hand.....doom doom doom

Unread 07-03-2018, 11:10 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
O’Farrell
Strange thing was, he had a terrific start. And after that could hardly win a single game.

Unread 07-03-2018, 11:25 PM
zanzare

Can't be arsed reviewing stats, but as much as I didn't like the teams that both managers after Sir Matt had played, for whatever reason, the football was crap, interspersed with classic United, until the Tommy Doc era, then the good times came back.
Moyes lost to teams that hadn't beaten us in millennia, and for that alone, he is the @#%&!, number one.
It's bad to hate, but sometimes that's all you have, even all these years later.

Unread 07-03-2018, 11:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Obvs only known the latter era. Moyes was surreal. So used to United being great and suddenly we were a genuine laughing stock.

LvG's first season was fine, but 2nd season, easily the most frustrating period watching United. Having a great manager who could have revolutionised the football, hampered largely by insufficient players he either bought or inherited. Current United draws less expectation. Unlike '14-16, it's clear that the best it can be is functional winning football, and I don't think latter looks likely. Only serves to reinforce my feeling that the previous idea and the young side being built was dispensed with in favour of a dice throw for short-termism.

Unread 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
the Sexton era v Moyes/LvG era ?

for me, the latter....
This thread was even worse.
Closed Thread