United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He cost £75m and has scored 14 league goals from 29 games. It's not lots; it's the minimum he should have.
Playing in this team with the service he gets thats not a bad effort. You as one of Mourinho's biggest critics should be more sympathetic

Unread 06-03-2018, 07:03 PM
andyroo

He shouldn't be starved of decent service most games.

But that's not his fault.

Unread 06-03-2018, 07:03 PM
armchair

Said it before (maybe in this thread) but he needs to be bullying defenders more. He's a blunt instrument compared to aguero/kane etc but a bludgeon can be effective too. He's more in the mould of Costa/Drogba. A battering ram.

Unread 06-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Is he? I'm glad he celebrates our goals and everything but where is the improvement in his play? His inability to lay a simple ball off time and again is infuriating and his goal record is nothing to write home about, didn't a 36 year old Zlat score 28 goals by April?

Lukaku is a likeable lad but he is never going to be a top striker in the mold of Aguero, Kane etc so why persist? I actually like what I've seen of him on the right of the attack, he can isolate the fullback reasonably well and has enough pace to beat a man. Would love to see him on the right of a three man attack alongside 2 of Martial/Sanchez/Rashford.
Because he's playing better, working harder, assisting more and scoring again.

Other than That, no improvement.

Quote:
He cost £75m and has scored 14 league goals from 29 games. It's not lots; it's the minimum he should have.
1 in 2 is generally considered a very good strike rate.

It's certainly not the 'minimum'.

His price has no relevance to how well he is or isn't doing.

Unread 06-03-2018, 07:28 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface

exactly....he had that spell of not scoring and looking like he was struggling but he's improved and working harder his goal against Chelsea just what he needed and he needs one on Saturday or Tuesday, just hope he's fit as he seemed to be suffering a bit towards the end last night

Unread 06-03-2018, 07:31 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Amazing how often this needs restating tbh.

Unread 06-03-2018, 08:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Not anymore. Otherwise Giroud would be seen as good enough to have taken Arsenal to the title. The top strikers look for two in every three. So for me 14 in 29 is the minimum I'd expect.

And his price tag and subsequent status is relevant. That money and his wages would get you most strikers. He/United has to justify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
Playing in this team with the service he gets thats not a bad effort. You as one of Mourinho's biggest critics should be more sympathetic
I tend to be far more critical of those out on the pitch tbf.

Unread 06-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

Playing better than what exactly? Has he improved as a player yes or no? I don't care if he is playing better than he was for that four month spell where he was complete shit including costing us the derby.

1 in 2 a very good strike rate? A 36 year old in a worse team managed the same amount of goals, there are wingers averaging almost a goal a game. The league is absolute shite, he is doing nothing special.

Unread 06-03-2018, 08:30 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Amazing how often this needs restating tbh.
So if you bought an item for a lot of money that price would have no relevance to how well you'd expect it to work?

He didn't buy himself. But the signing's success clearly relates to how much you pay. Why else do we talk about bargains in football?

Unread 06-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Playing better than what exactly? Has he improved as a player yes or no? I don't care if he is playing better than he was for that four month spell where he was complete shit including costing us the derby.

1 in 2 a very good strike rate? A 36 year old in a worse team managed the same amount of goals, there are wingers averaging almost a goal a game. The league is absolute shite, he is doing nothing special.
Yes he has.

Quote:
Not anymore. Otherwise Giroud would be seen as good enough to have taken Arsenal to the title. The top strikers look for two in every three. So for me 14 in 29 is the minimum I'd expect.

And his price tag and subsequent status is relevant. That money and his wages would get you most strikers. He/United has to justify it.

I tend to be far more critical of those out on the pitch tbf.

No. The top strikers in world football have that kind of record. And all in teams that score more and serve their strikers better.

There is a space between the absolute best and just reaching the bare minimum.

Giroud has been ditched after, What, four seasons? If Lukaku isn't better than 1 in 2 as a United player in four years, I'd be surprised.

The price has no bearing on how he plays, is my point. If we'd got him for cheaper, would his record be better then?

£75 wouldn't get you any of Kane, Aguero, Ronaldo or Messi.

Salah has done it for 2/3 of one season.

He's likely to hit 30 goals for the season. In a debut season where he's had a barren spell, playing In a side that is, at best, in transition.

I think we're moving the goalposts if that's a basic minimum.

Unread 06-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Clarkie

Quote:

His celebration stats are the best in the league atm.

£#%&! off...

We both know that's Lingard

Unread 06-03-2018, 09:16 PM
saffers

Quote:
Yes he has.

No. The top strikers in world football have that kind of record. And all in teams that score more and serve their strikers better.

Giroud has been ditched after, What, four seasons? If Lukaku isn't better than 1 in 2 as a United player in four years, I'd be surprised.

The price has no bearing on how he plays, is my point. If we'd got him for cheaper, would his record be better then?

He's likely to hit 30 goals for the season. In a debut season where he's had a barren spell, playing In a side that is, at best, in transition.

Lukaku critics have a point but are too harsh. Imo its a learning season. 30+ in all comps would be good for a learning season imho. 24 goals now.

Perhaps they dont want him to succeed here cuz hes not their type of player. Hes not going anywhere imo, could end up our record goalscorer imo.

Unread 06-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Lukaku critics have a point but are too harsh. Imo its a learning season. 30+ in all comps would be good for a learning season imho. 24 goals now.

Perhaps they dont want him to succeed here cuz hes not their type of player. Hes not going anywhere imo, could end up our record goalscorer imo.

Exactly. It's not a brilliant record, but it's pretty good going for a formative season.

And it's season he seems to he growing in to. A goal on Saturday would be huge for him

Unread 06-03-2018, 09:27 PM
saffers

Quote:
Exactly. It's not a brilliant record, but it's pretty good going for a formative season.

And it's season he seems to he growing in to. A goal on Saturday would be huge for him
Yep did say if he scousebusts he'll start gaining traction even with the likes of siders and quayders who are more gabriel jesus type of striker fans than big rom.

Rom quite elegant at times imo. Can see him annihilating the scouse on satdee

Unread 06-03-2018, 09:30 PM
dunk

Quote:
Yep did say if he scousebusts he'll start gaining traction even with the likes of siders and quayders who are more gabriel jesus type of striker fans than big rom.

Rom quite elegant at times imo. Can see him annihilating the scouse on satdee
How did he do against them for the blue dippers?

Elegant? Really? in all honesty I don’t think he’s anyone’s type of striker.. Even Mourinho didn’t fancy him.

Unread 06-03-2018, 09:37 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
How did he do against them for the blue dippers?

Elegant? Really? in all honesty I don’t think he’s anyone’s type of striker.. Even Mourinho didn’t fancy him.
Got a number of goals against them for both wba and everton

Mourinho clearly fancied him, you love to lie.

Unread 06-03-2018, 09:40 PM
dunk

Quote:
Got a number of goals against them for both wba and everton

Mourinho clearly fancied him, you love to lie.
I’m not lying. Continually loaned him out, opted not to play him even when he was bitching about lack of strikers and sold him.

You’re the liar, once again, re-writing history to suit you

Unread 06-03-2018, 10:13 PM
LFOD

Quote:
Rom quite elegant at times imo.
£#%&! me , not a hater nor his biggest fan but elegant - too funny.

Unread 06-03-2018, 10:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yes he has.

Most sides that win league titles have a centre forward who scores at a higher rate than this. Costa; Vardy; Aguero; RvP.

His standards have to be high. Kane is on course for 30 again. Salah also on course for 30. Aguero in terms of strike rate is hitting almost a goal per game. Yet it's strange or unfair to expect Manchester United's record signing to get 17/18/19 as a minimum?

Unread 06-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Most sides that win league titles have a centre forward who scores at a higher rate than this. Costa; Vardy; Aguero; RvP.

His standards have to be high. Kane is on course for 30 again. Salah also on course for 30. Aguero in terms of strike rate is hitting almost a goal per game. Yet it's strange or unfair to expect Manchester United's record signing to get 17/18/19 as a minimum?
Vardy got 24. Costa got 20. In the league.

Lukaku has as many in all comps as Vardy did all season.

He won't be far off that. Both those players praised for their seasons.

And We aren't winning the league.

Kane has been at spurs for years. As has Aguero. Both in sides much more cohesive than us, that play to their strengths.

Put them in our side and they score less. Put Rom in their's and he scores more.

Salah has been exceptional for Liverpool. Good for him. He'll get player of the year. The next level down to that isn't 'minimum'.

In their debut seasons

Kane 31
Vardy 5
Costa 21
Aguero 30

Lukaku is on 24 and counting

The standards are high indeed. Which is why nobody is saying it's exceptional or that it shouldn't be more.

It's not strange to demand more, it's strange to declare a 24 goal season in April as a minimum requirement.

Rvp had 30 in a season we won the league. The return was lauded, as was he. Lukaku will be around the same and it'll be viewed as average. With far less experience than rvp.

I think that's slightly odd.
Closed Thread