United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Old 02-12-2017, 11:10 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878

]
Right time for one of those to be a young Bestie?

Old 08-12-2017, 07:50 AM
est.1878

Default US recon. plane ww1

Old 08-12-2017, 12:01 PM
est.1878

Default New York Santas 1976-1978

Early one morning, near my home and on my way to someplace else, I crossed paths with a Santa Claus. I wanted to know who this guy was. Where did he come from? Why was he in my neighborhood?”
“Then I discovered the "Volunteers of America." It was the organization behind the homeless men on Fifth Avenue who dressed as Santa Claus to collect money for the shelter in my neighborhood. Most people on the sidewalks just walked past them, some made contributions, but others had their children balance on Santa's knees, never of course imagining where these men had come from.”

Old 08-12-2017, 12:03 PM
est.1878

Old 08-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Chorlton74

the fella stood up. ringer for Andre 3000.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM
est.1878

israeli patrol soldier passing Christmas decorations. bethlehem 1987.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM
flixton

I don't think the new Batman's going to work

Old 17-12-2017, 09:34 AM
est.1878

Default cincinati 1939

Old 29-12-2017, 12:01 AM
est.1878

Default us blizzard 1940

Monday, November 11, 1940 was Armistice Day, the remembrance of the symbolic end of World War I. On the 22nd anniversary of the end of the war, two of the Allied powers were not at peace. France was under Nazi occupation and Britain was under siege by the Germans. Newspaper headlines in the U.S. recounted President Franklin Roosevelt’s Armistice Day message, which denounced the world’s dictators.

Across the Upper Midwest, temperatures had been well above normal through the first weeks of fall. On the morning of the 11th, temperatures were in the fifties across the area, well above normal for the season. Hunters took advantage of the holiday and the extremely mild weather to take to lakes and rivers across Minnesota and Iowa. They were to be rewarded with an overabundance of waterfowl. Many would later comment that they had never see so many birds. The birds knew something most of the hunters didn’t. They were getting out of the way of the approaching storm.

Weather forecasting was not a very reliable thing in 1940. There were no winter storm watches or blizzard warnings. .

A perfect storm was brewing, with warm Gulf air racing into the vortex, where it mxed with extremely cold Canadian air. The Weather Bureau office in Chicago, however, was not staffed at night. So no one saw the rapidly exploding storm.

As hunters sat in blinds or in their boats, a line of dark clouds approached from the west. It began to rain and the wind began to roar. The temperature dropped like a rock and the rain quickly changed to snow. The mercury would fall forty degrees in just a few hours from the 50s to the single digits. The snow fell with a vengeance. Blizzard conditions developed quickly.

When it was all said and done, 26.6 inches of snow had fallen at Collegeville, Minnesota. Furious winds up to 60 mph whipped the heavy snowfall into drift twenty feet high. A total of 154 people perished. Over twenty were hunters who froze to death.

The U.S. Weather Bureau was roundly criticized after the disaster. Congressional inquiries would lead to significant changes, including offices that were staffed full time.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:40 PM
est.1878

Default Montparnasse Derailment Train Crash, 1895

The cause? Both mechanical failure and human error. The train was late, so the driver had it pull into the station at a high speed. It had two different types of braking systems: handbrakes and an air brake known as a Westinghouse brake. The conductor realized that the train was going too fast and applied the Westinghouse brake, however it didn’t work

Guillaume-Marie Pellerin had spent much of his life working the railroads. With 19 years of engineering experience behind him, the Express was in safe hands.

The route was a relatively simple one, roughly 400km from the seaside resort of Granville on the Lower Normandy coastline to the terminal at Paris Montparnasse. The train comprised a steam locomotive, three baggage cars, a postal car, and six passenger carriages. These days, the same journey takes around three hours, but back in 1895 it required closer to seven; despite a punctual start, Pellerin and his crew eventually realized that they were running a couple of minutes behind schedule. Keen to keep good time, the engineer made the momentous decision to approach Montparnasse at cruising speed, stoking the coals until the train was flat out at close to 60km/h.

With the station in sight, Pellerin applied the Westinghouse air brake which, unfortunately chose that particular moment to fail. Conductor Albert Mariette, whose duty it was to apply the locomotive’s emergency handbrake, found himself temporarily indisposed, buried beneath a mountain of overdue paperwork. Failing to gauge the urgency of the situation until it was already too late, Mariette slammed on the brakes just a few feet short of the buffer and could only look on in horror as the train mounted the platform, skidded 100 feet across the station concourse before ploughing through the station and plummeting 30 feet below.

Despite the damage to the station, the locomotive itself remained largely intact and all six passenger carriages stopped short of the façade, resulting in only a few minor injuries, a couple of squashed suitcases and some top hats knocked askew. The sole casualty of the incident would usually have been nowhere near the scene. Marie-Augustine Aguilard, standing in for her newspaper vendor husband, was crushed by falling masonry as she stood awaiting his return.

An inquest into the disaster led to Pellerin, the engineer, being charged 50 francs for his reckless speeding while Mariette, the conductor who failed to apply brakes in a timely fashion, was also slapped with a hefty 25-franc fine. . An initial attempt to move it using a team of fourteen horses proved fruitless, ten men and a 250-ton winch eventually being required to lower the errant locomotive to the ground, where it was carted off for repair and found to have suffered remarkably little damage.