United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Gaming

Old 30-11-2017, 06:57 PM
TheFatGoth

Thumbs down Microtransactions

Following the successful SWBF2 launch, EA has sent out beta invitations for select players to test out the latest iteration in MMA video games, EA Sports UFC 3...

Quote:
Every single technique, ability, fighter, and stat roll, is entirely acquired and upgraded through the loot box system. A brand-new player fresh out of the tutorials, can dump $1,000 into the game, acquire the rarest loot drops and immediately jump into online competition with a beastly custom fighter that has an exceedingly large health pool, vastly improved endurance, and substantially stronger strikes than the average player who simply pays the $60 price of admission. The higher the rarity of the item, the more significant the improvement overall. Pressing the square button to throw a punch at an opponent, quite literally the simplest and most obvious mechanic in an MMA game, perfectly exemplifies the absurdity of the microtransactions in question. A base level jab will do minimal damage to online opponents, however a fighter that purchases a loot box and acquires a five-star rarity level jab, will not only have a more efficient and powerful technique in combat, but will also be treated to a host of stat increases in all regards, making their player undeniably better in every scenario.
https://www.astutegaming.com/single-...SPORTSUFC3BETA

Last edited by TheFatGoth; 30-11-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Old 30-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Switching Off

EA are going to fuck this up for everyone. As soon as Congress get involved, GAME OVER.

Old 30-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Poop

Absolute scum of the videogame industry. Haven't bought an EA game since Fifa on the Megadrive. Wouldn't even waste my time pirating their shite.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 AM
TheFatGoth

https://kotaku.com/meet-the-19-year-...tra-1820854953

Old 01-12-2017, 10:12 AM
forwardirektion

Loot boxes are starting to be classified as gambling in some countries

Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion View Post
Loot boxes are starting to be classified as gambling in some countries
and so they should. They will ride this money train until they're stopped legally.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were 10p or something but they're almost £2 a box

Old 12-09-2018, 03:09 PM
TheFatGoth

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/09/12/n...stuffed-future

Quote:
NBA 2K19 is constantly begging you to spend VC. Youíre asked to spend VC on Gatorade for performance boosts, on vehicles to make progression around the plodding Neighbourhood mode quicker, on shoes, on clothes. Itís relentless, in your face the moment you turn the game on, and doesnít leave you until the second you quit (quite literally, since GET VC is right there underneath QUIT).

The worst offender though, more than the trivial and cosmetic items that the game is littered with and which you could easily live without, continues to be the way your MyCareer progression is tied to VC spending. You donít level up in 2K19 purely by playing, you buy your stat upgrades with VC, and because everybody starts MyCareer mode as a fledgling scrub, getting your jumpshot and passing skills off the ground floor is a priority.
Vehicles in a basketball game

Not sure why sports games aren't just monthly subscription services now tbh.

Old 13-09-2018, 07:52 AM
Lok

EA don't give a fuck. Mobile games and micro-transactions have destroyed gaming. It was only a matter of time before the likes of EA jumped on the bandwagon.

Games have been around the £40-50 mark for nearly 20 years so something was going to happen to course correct.

Old 13-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
EA don't give a fuck. Mobile games and micro-transactions have destroyed gaming. It was only a matter of time before the likes of EA jumped on the bandwagon.

Games have been around the £40-50 mark for nearly 20 years so something was going to happen to course correct.
Come down off the ledge bro.

Gaming industry is not destroyed.

Honestly don't like EA games, so I don't even notice microtransactions.

My concern is multiplayer exclusivity. I don't like multiplayer tbh.

Old 13-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Bunker Buster

Multiplayer is the only way to game for me.....

Like films I guess, comes down to attention span and familiar fucking story lines...

I need randomness and a different game every time I turn on.