United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Old 08-11-2017, 08:10 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
The rockers still exist....but less so because the professionals are now understanding more about the condition, and therefore able to use motivation and distraction methods to guide the autistic person towards other activities
that's what i found interesting, it's often an active retreat. it's a decision to reject the world (i know not always and that's not it 100% but there's an element of that)

it's like from an early age they decided society is bullshit and refused to be part of it. and i kind of think they are right.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
that's what i found interesting, it's often an active retreat. it's a decision to reject the world (i know not always and that's not it 100% but there's an element of that)
My understanding is it's all about (lack of) stimulation. When I was learning about autism I tried rocking for a bit, it's f***ing knackering and emotionally wearing

Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 PM
armchair

Quote:
My understanding is it's all about (lack of) stimulation. When I was learning about autism I tried rocking for a bit, it's f***ing knackering and emotionally wearing
form of meditation imo. in fact, i think there is meditation that it's a part of.

I often think they are at a higher level of consciousness and us annoying them with reality is why they sometimes screech.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Crumps

Quote:
The rockers still exist....but less so because the professionals are now understanding more about the condition, and therefore able to use motivation and distraction methods to guide the autistic person towards other activities
FIdgit spinners and amphetamines?

Old 08-11-2017, 08:18 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps View Post
unusual to see you posting about drugs

Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 PM
CyrilSkeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick View Post
Waiting lists How old?
4 years old, but he has his EHCP in place and at an amazing special needs school so the formality of the diagnosis is just that really. It will just be a piece of paper that documents it, but it's not going to change much to be honest as we get a lot of the support needed so far.
The waiting lists are worse for the additional support from OT's, physio etc. to be honest, although these will all be done on site at school at regular intervals going forward so even these are eradicated to a degree.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:26 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
form of meditation imo. in fact, i think there is meditation that it's a part of.

I often think they are at a higher level of consciousness and us annoying them with reality is why they sometimes screech.
You might have a point....rocking can be the ultimate way of indicating " I have no f***ing interest in what's going on around me", and I have sometimes wondered if they (a) don't understand the world around them, or (b) fully understand it but reject it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps View Post
Tailored to the individual pal....iPad and a piece of velvet material worked for one lad

Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 PM
dragflick

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilSkeer View Post
4 years old, but he has his EHCP in place and at an amazing special needs school so the formality of the diagnosis is just that really. It will just be a piece of paper that documents it, but it's not going to change much to be honest as we get a lot of the support needed so far.
The waiting lists are worse for the additional support from OT's, physio etc. to be honest, although these will all be done on site at school at regular intervals going forward so even these are eradicated to a degree.
Fair enough. When he/she grows up just don't let them do YouTube videos about United.

Hope all goes well

Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Crumps

Quote:
You might have a point....rocking can be the ultimate way of indicating " I have no f***ing interest in what's going on around me", and I have sometimes wondered if they (a) don't understand the world around them, or (b) fully understand it but reject it

Tailored to the individual pal....iPad and a piece of velvet material worked for one lad
Madness that you have kids on such heavy duty meds. Watched the Louis Theroux about it last night. Eeeeesh

Old 08-11-2017, 10:04 PM
CyrilSkeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick View Post
Fair enough. When he/she grows up just don't let them do YouTube videos about United.

Hope all goes well
Cheers, reality is it's unlikely we will ever hear him speak to be honest but we live in hope. One day his little voice may break through, even just once will be a gift.