United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > TV / Film / Books / Arts
Reply
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:10 PM
armchair
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
The rockers still exist....but less so because the professionals are now understanding more about the condition, and therefore able to use motivation and distraction methods to guide the autistic person towards other activities
that's what i found interesting, it's often an active retreat. it's a decision to reject the world (i know not always and that's not it 100% but there's an element of that)

it's like from an early age they decided society is bullshit and refused to be part of it. and i kind of think they are right.
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 PM
no fun
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
that's what i found interesting, it's often an active retreat. it's a decision to reject the world (i know not always and that's not it 100% but there's an element of that)
My understanding is it's all about (lack of) stimulation. When I was learning about autism I tried rocking for a bit, it's f***ing knackering and emotionally wearing
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 PM
armchair
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
My understanding is it's all about (lack of) stimulation. When I was learning about autism I tried rocking for a bit, it's f***ing knackering and emotionally wearing
form of meditation imo. in fact, i think there is meditation that it's a part of.

I often think they are at a higher level of consciousness and us annoying them with reality is why they sometimes screech.
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Crumps
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
The rockers still exist....but less so because the professionals are now understanding more about the condition, and therefore able to use motivation and distraction methods to guide the autistic person towards other activities
FIdgit spinners and amphetamines?
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:18 PM
armchair
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps View Post
FIdgit spinners and amphetamines?
unusual to see you posting about drugs
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 PM
CyrilSkeer
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick View Post
Waiting lists How old?
4 years old, but he has his EHCP in place and at an amazing special needs school so the formality of the diagnosis is just that really. It will just be a piece of paper that documents it, but it's not going to change much to be honest as we get a lot of the support needed so far.
The waiting lists are worse for the additional support from OT's, physio etc. to be honest, although these will all be done on site at school at regular intervals going forward so even these are eradicated to a degree.
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:26 PM
no fun
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
form of meditation imo. in fact, i think there is meditation that it's a part of.

I often think they are at a higher level of consciousness and us annoying them with reality is why they sometimes screech.
You might have a point....rocking can be the ultimate way of indicating " I have no f***ing interest in what's going on around me", and I have sometimes wondered if they (a) don't understand the world around them, or (b) fully understand it but reject it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps View Post
FIdgit spinners and amphetamines?
Tailored to the individual pal....iPad and a piece of velvet material worked for one lad
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 PM
dragflick
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilSkeer View Post
4 years old, but he has his EHCP in place and at an amazing special needs school so the formality of the diagnosis is just that really. It will just be a piece of paper that documents it, but it's not going to change much to be honest as we get a lot of the support needed so far.
The waiting lists are worse for the additional support from OT's, physio etc. to be honest, although these will all be done on site at school at regular intervals going forward so even these are eradicated to a degree.
Fair enough. When he/she grows up just don't let them do YouTube videos about United.

Hope all goes well
 
Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Crumps
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
You might have a point....rocking can be the ultimate way of indicating " I have no f***ing interest in what's going on around me", and I have sometimes wondered if they (a) don't understand the world around them, or (b) fully understand it but reject it



Tailored to the individual pal....iPad and a piece of velvet material worked for one lad
Madness that you have kids on such heavy duty meds. Watched the Louis Theroux about it last night. Eeeeesh
 
Old 08-11-2017, 10:04 PM
CyrilSkeer
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick View Post
Fair enough. When he/she grows up just don't let them do YouTube videos about United.

Hope all goes well
Cheers, reality is it's unlikely we will ever hear him speak to be honest but we live in hope. One day his little voice may break through, even just once will be a gift.
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: The A word
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The word is, it is him HarkNowHear Main Forum 8 16-02-2012 10:08 PM
They won't be saying the N word. Fat Al Main Forum 17 10-06-2011 09:55 PM
The 'N' word. magic_cantona Main Forum 83 13-06-2007 11:57 AM
I'm getting the word.... carlosartorial Football 11 09-03-2007 12:17 PM
What is the word for wonky no Main Forum 6 26-11-2006 11:49 AM
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Copyright 2006 - 2016 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.