United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Other Sports & Fitness

Old 13-10-2017, 10:51 AM
flixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
4 day tests
A bit shit really. Just think of those brilliant Tests in 2005 that would never have happened.

Can they increase the playing times for the remaining four days? Should definitely increase the number of overs required each day. 96 required in County Championship so that would be a start.

Old 13-10-2017, 06:00 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
4 day tests
I'm not normally one of those "everything's going to the dogs" people, but its difficult to see this as anything other than the end of days

Old 16-10-2017, 06:13 AM
thatsfuctit

The podcast with JB should be worth listening to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41523011

Old 19-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Buck

Lovely short documentary on the history of West Indian players in the Lancashire leagues

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ast-lancashire

The crowds then vs now...........

Old 19-10-2017, 05:29 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Lovely short documentary on the history of West Indian players in the Lancashire leagues

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ast-lancashire

The crowds then vs now...........
Ridiculous who was knocking about the leagues in those days before the international calendar became so busy.

No doubt I've mentioned it before, but in my teens and early 20s I played in the now defunct Leeds League, which whilst not the Lancashire League or Bradford League was a chuffing good standard. Nostell CC somehow acquired Dean Jones who at the time was the current Aussie number 3 and number 1 ranked ODI batsmen in the world, they also had Tony Dodemaide for part of the season and at different points Jack Simmons & Shakoor Rana's son, Caribbean CC had Stuart Williams who went on to play 31 tests and 50+ ODI's for the Windies, his brother Harwood who played for one of the islands, and a Leeward Islands quick who thoroughly beat us up in an era when no one wore helmets.

Watching Jones bat from close in was amazing, it makes you realise (if you needed convincing) that top class sports people have an eye and timing that puts them on a different level, despite dispatching balls wherever he chose, he never seemed to put any effort into it.

League cricket is struggling as a lot of sports are - teams are shrinking in terms of the number of teams they field, or folding all together and it seems to be all the leagues, seems to be a similar story in football and rugby.

Old 19-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit View Post
Ridiculous who was knocking about the leagues in those days before the international calendar became so busy.

No doubt I've mentioned it before, but in my teens and early 20s I played in the now defunct Leeds League, which whilst not the Lancashire League or Bradford League was a chuffing good standard. Nostell CC somehow acquired Dean Jones who at the time was the current Aussie number 3 and number 1 ranked ODI batsmen in the world, they also had Tony Dodemaide for part of the season and at different points Jack Simmons & Shakoor Rana's son, Caribbean CC had Stuart Williams who went on to play 31 tests and 50+ ODI's for the Windies, his brother Harwood who played for one of the islands, and a Leeward Islands quick who thoroughly beat us up in an era when no one wore helmets.

Watching Jones bat from close in was amazing, it makes you realise (if you needed convincing) that top class sports people have an eye and timing that puts them on a different level, despite dispatching balls wherever he chose, he never seemed to put any effort into it.

League cricket is struggling as a lot of sports are - teams are shrinking in terms of the number of teams they field, or folding all together and it seems to be all the leagues, seems to be a similar story in football and rugby.
Simpler times

Old 19-10-2017, 07:53 PM
andyroo

Quote:

What is that butterfly bat though Nev?

Old 19-10-2017, 08:18 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo View Post

What is that butterfly bat though Nev?
And Pip was the better of the two wasn't he?