United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 05-10-2017, 03:34 PM
red in cumbria

And the fact is that not all countries are as besotted with home ownership as we are. Might be worth looking into that?

Old 05-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk View Post
I might do if I could determine what his point is other than 'people only want a house because the government makes them'.

I wonder how popular a government would be that restricted access to mortgages.
It was about Theresa May's dreams, which were quoted in the press yesterday following her speech.

Her dream was to get young people on the housing ladder, which is an acutely conservative viewpoint. When you look at what her dream could be as leader of the country, it could be something along the line of "everybody is housed" or huge reduction in homelessness"

I made no points at all about governments restricting mortgages, but I did allude to that in the UK, buying a house is more popular than most western countries and I insinuated that that was a cultural difference driven by government. More specifically selling off council houses is the most obvious government policy that drives/drove that outcome

Old 05-10-2017, 06:57 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
And the fact is that not all countries are as besotted with home ownership as we are. Might be worth looking into that?
And up to not very long ago, irk would have made a dab hand of describing the drivers of our desperate need to own houses and how it is a major pillar of social control, but alas, irk II has 'unknown' all that.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:48 PM
Jammy Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock View Post
So with May on the way out, who's next in line ?

Rees Smugg and Moggumentum ?

Boris the bastard ?

Gove the rubber faced alien ?

Amber Rudderless ?

Theresa Loathsome ?

The twins Iain and Drunken Smith ?

Quite a choice.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Harri Jaffa

Pie absolutely on the money. What he says about power and Johnson is brilliant.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Albert Tatlock

May has apparently been advised to sack Boris and reshuffle the cabinet.

If she does sack Johnson, then Rees Smugg is the ideal replacement at the FCO. For all his faults, and there are very many, he's exceptionally polite. May can send him around the world for the next two years or more apologising for Boris.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Fat Al

Quote:

If she does sack Johnson, then Rees Smugg is the ideal replacement at the FCO. For all his faults, and there are very many, he's exceptionally polite. May can send him around the world for the next two years or more apologising for Boris.
May is saying the Cabinet is fully behind her.

Of course they are. Can't knife her in the back from the front, can they?

Old 06-10-2017, 08:18 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

Rumours circulating that JRM is planning to replace Boris's bikes with Jacob's penny farthings in his drive to re-victorianise everything.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:03 PM
red in cumbria

Looks like Grant Shapps - widely disliked within the Tory party, never mind outside it - might not have been the best figurehead for any putsch. Who knew??

Old 06-10-2017, 10:32 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Access to mortgages is restricted. We had a government that allowed unrestricted access to mortgages and it was deemed to be a very stupid idea and knocked on the head.
A pedant writes...