United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 06-10-2017, 03:41 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton View Post
The police should be arrested for wasting police time. Next time you see the police moaning about the lack of resources remember this. Meanwhile the police will be opening an investigation into Oliver Cromwell.
I'm not totally convinced by this one, but the above attitude is part of the problem.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:44 PM
andyroo

Quote:
The police should be arrested for wasting police time. Next time you see the police moaning about the lack of resources remember this. Meanwhile the police will be opening an investigation into Oliver Cromwell.
I'm sure the Garda Siochána have a few questions they'd like him to answer.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:49 PM
flixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
I'm not totally convinced by this one, but the above attitude is part of the problem.
Would that be the attitude that investigating dead people is a waste of valuable police time?

There are an awful lot of dead people around to be investigated.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:51 PM
armchair

Quote:
Would that be the attitude that investigating dead people is a waste of valuable police time?

There are an awful lot of dead people around to be investigated.
Agreed. they are better served investigating 'hate crimes' on social media.

(I actually do agree it's a waste of time)

Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Jammy Dodger

The only establishment peados and murderers under threat of being investigated are dead establishment peados and murderers.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:19 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria View Post
the above attitude is part of the problem.
if they worked a bit harder chasing live targets, there wouldn't be a problem. maybe don't wait 50 years to complain about being abused, too, eh? life isn't fair, but death is.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
if they worked a bit harder chasing live targets, there wouldn't be a problem. maybe don't wait 50 years to complain about being abused, too, eh? life isn't fair, but death is.
Quite right jem, abused children always speak up immediately after the abuse, those that don't deserve to be denied the right to justice later in life

Old 07-10-2017, 12:12 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun View Post
Quite right jem, abused children always speak up immediately after the abuse, those that don't deserve to be denied the right to justice later in life
I think everyone appreciates that. however, you can't get justice when your abuser is dead. death's like that.

sure, you can get some recognition and maybe some compensation, but both of those would also be more useful the earlier they come and give you more time to enjoy your closure - and you will never get the closure of confronting your abuser or, at least, them knowing they got caught and everyone else knows.

I'm not saying deny them justice; I am saying get them swift and full justice. there is nothing wrong with encouraging people to speak up sooner rather than later.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:23 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I think everyone appreciates that. however, you can't get justice when your abuser is dead. death's like that.

sure, you can get some recognition and maybe some compensation, but both of those would also be more useful the earlier they come and give you more time to enjoy your closure - and you will never get the closure of confronting your abuser or, at least, them knowing they got caught and everyone else knows.

I'm not saying deny them justice; I am saying get them swift and full justice. there is nothing wrong with encouraging people to speak up sooner rather than later.

Easier said than done, seems pretty clear that the likes of Savile, Cyril Smith and allegedly Heath used their power and influence to keep would be complainants away / quiet.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:31 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post

In my experience, victims are ready to talk when they are ready to talk...might be aged 13, might be aged 73. I know of a recent case where a 70 year old woman has made a complaint of historical sexual abuse against a man who is now aged 83.....the abuse took place when she was just 10/11 years old....he is/ was still active within the Church of England ....the woman told my colleague that she had blocked it out for over 50 years, thought about making a complaint for nearly 10 years, and finally plucked up the courage to do so...she was still worried about his threat that he would abuse her sisters if she told anyone

So no jem, there is often something very wrong with encouraging people to speak up sooner rather than later, it's often best to just give them time and space

Unless of course it's a public schoolboy abused by his house captain