United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Not Football related > Science & Technology

Old 04-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Poop

Default Smart plugs?

Do these things only work within a certain range of your home router or can you connect to them via an internet connection x miles away?

Mother is off to hospital to have her clunge removed and will be in my place recuperating for a few weeks. Be buggered if I'm driving to her place twice every night to turn shit on and off.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Harri Jaffa

Just turn everything off apart from the fridge and freezer like normal

Old 04-10-2017, 10:54 PM
goldfinger II

f*** sake. Didn't realise smart plugs had already been invented. That was the big idea I was intending to one day execute.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 PM
Poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa View Post
Burglars and shit?

She wants her lights turned on and off at random intervals. Dodgy time of year, plenty of houses knocked over by subhuman scum in the run-up to Christmas

Old 05-10-2017, 12:41 AM
guerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa View Post
Bit late for me with that advice...I turned the house leccy off when we went for a family holiday to confuse any burglars. Forgot about the fridge freezer, bloody stank after being off for a month.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:58 AM
FraUtd

If there's a smartphone app for them, usually means you can control them from anywhere.

Or would plug timers on different schedules, so lights on in diff rooms at diff times, be easier?

Old 05-10-2017, 06:15 AM
The Stella Fella

Or move into hers and let her stay at yours.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:28 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop View Post
Do these things only work within a certain range of your home router or can you connect to them via an internet connection x miles away?

Mother is off to hospital to have her clunge removed and will be in my place recuperating for a few weeks. Be buggered if I'm driving to her place twice every night to turn shit on and off.
Link to removed clunge

Old 05-10-2017, 07:09 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poop View Post
in the run-up to Christmas
Plenty of time then. That's ages away.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraUtd View Post
If there's a smartphone app for them, usually means you can control them from anywhere.

Or would plug timers on different schedules, so lights on in diff rooms at diff times, be easier?
I think that would be best for poop. Just plug a few in and don't have to think about it .

Poop - You could get a house sitter for a bit maybe too?