United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-10-2017, 10:46 PM
andyroo

Of course it's %@#$&!s. They invented it to try and comfort themselves that they were achieving something despite struggling against the odds stacked against them, that somehow their wins were worth more than everyone else's, specifically ours.

And they still don't win it

Unread 02-10-2017, 10:49 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Ofcourse, but my point is more how they're trying to make a science out of all those intangible elements that affect form.

Look at Everton: City, Chelsea, Spurs, United. All in a row. By the time they get to their 'easy' fixture against Burnley, their confidence is shot and they're £#%&!ed. On the other hand, Burnley gain confidence from results in tough games and become a different proposition.

There is some merit in attempting to define difficulty .... but they've failed to consider how it changes and it's ultimately clumsy and a total waste of what looks like a lot of time and effort.
Also doesn't take into account what an absolute sex menace their manager is and the fear that having to take a shower after the match holds for the players

Unread 02-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Also doesn't take into account what an absolute sex menace their manager is and the fear that having to take a shower after the match holds for the players
You clearly haven't seen their Klopp Teeth-Grind Shower League.

Unread 02-10-2017, 10:51 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
- It's about the least possible piss take thread there is on RAWK.

Unread 02-10-2017, 10:53 PM
sa7

Quote:
You clearly haven't seen their Klopp Teeth-Grind Shower League.
Imagine the yellow and green dust blowing towards the crowd in the wind

Unread 02-10-2017, 11:07 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Maybe it is, I haven't read many of the other ones. Is the transfer haiku one still going?

Pack of dangers.

Unread 03-10-2017, 05:38 AM
utd99

In all the years they’ve been doing this the APLT has only still been alive in January twice.

Unread 03-10-2017, 09:56 AM
waynes ear's

i know fred is an absolute time wasting hole, but the #@&%! who does this APLT must really really hate natural light

sitting in a darkened room, sticking numbers into Excel and producing weekly graphs that mean absolutely £#%&!ing nothing, when its easier just to log on to RAWK and post "that was £#%&!ing shit la"

and then the £#%&!wits who sit around cyber backslapping the absolute add up numbers are mentally £#%&!ing deranged as well. but we knew that anyway

@#%&!s

Unread 03-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Surfers do Charlie

I love the way they call him "The prof" because he can use a spreadsheet

Mind you, he probably is genuinely the smartest person in Liverpool.

Unread 03-10-2017, 03:26 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie

It’s a massive one up on Throb nqat.

Unread 03-10-2017, 03:31 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

Come on own up....who is It?

They don't seem to take into account that 'difficulty' of a fixture is somewhat fluid.

If youre playing shit, every fixture is hard. And vice versa.

What's the opposition's form like? Does the fixture come amidst an injury crisis? Follow a European away? Or are you just generally playing shit.

I get that it's worth noting if teams have a tough run of fixtures, but it's not a tangible thing. It's part of why we watch and what makes it interesting.
Who decides on the 'difficulty' of the games then?

Unread 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Mark Lawrenson

Unread 03-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
This is what I've never understood.

But then I realise that the more you try to make the whole thing make sense, the more pointless and utterly mad it becomes.

Unread 03-10-2017, 04:03 PM
browser

Think the prof just outed himself on f365:

Quote:
Klopp is doing great – if you forget their two bad patches
To the illustrious F365 mailbox…

If you have an agenda, you can crunch numbers as long as you want to manipulate statistics to tell you what you want, so perhaps what follows might need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

My beloved Liverpool are managed by a charasmatic chap who until recently was the favourite uncle everyone wished they had. Ever since he became Liverpool manager I have recorded his results in a spreadsheet called ‘KloppWatch’ and if, like me, you are something of a stats nerd it makes for interesting reading. Overall, Klopp averages 1.784 points per game. Rogers was 1.771, Benitez 1.900. The target for any manager of a top team has to be two points per game as that output will always put you in with a chance. Benitez got somewhere near that and Klopp is currently falling short. Benitez was not without fault, his man management did not include the word avuncular but in American sports parlance he knew his x’s and o’s and ultimately he achieved respectable numbers. In my humble opinion, for Klopp’s tenure at Liverpool to be deemed a success, he has to put up better stats than Benitez.

But maybe, depending on how you crunch, Klopp might already have exceeded Benitez, in a way…

Lady luck plays a part. Liverpool have been poor since the capitulation to Man City. They were also extremely poor in January. Remove these two blocks of games, which is 16 games (W2 D8 L6) out of the 110 that Klopp has managed and you have a per game points average of 1.937, so hey presto, better than Benitez’s bottom line, which has to be encouraging. For 94 games Klopp is a hero, for the other 16 he is a zero. Is that an acceptable ratio?

Clearly, removing poor runs of form from Benitez’s stats would push his numbers up too, but what I am trying to decide is whether Liverpool’s current form and that last January are just runs of bad luck or if they are exacerbated by Klopp not having the tactical nous to turn the tide when form takes a dip. Could Klopp have done more in January and could he be doing more now to kick-start the team, or is this just the random noise of data? My suspicion is that it is the latter and we will regress to the mean without Klopp doing anything different. Results will improve, probably sooner rather than later, as our bevy of exciting attackers will start putting the ball in the back of the net and our plethora of worrying defenders will stop giving up very silly goals and will just concede a ‘normal’ amount of (still annoying) goals that you’d expect from the below average unit that they are. A change of fortune will make things look a whole lot brighter, without recourse to a plan B (that doesn’t exist any way) or throwing subs on earlier which some commentators seem to see as some sort of panacea at the moment (Ox getting seven minutes is seven minutes too many for me). Before very much longer, Klopp might again receive the plaudits that he has been afforded previously as the current poor form is forgotten by the feast or famine type of mainstream (and, sometimes, not so mainstream) reporting that we have to put up with.

I think Klopp’s true worth is somewhat lower than the high adulation he has received at times and somewhat higher than the flack he is getting at the moment and all things considered his output is probably on a par with the players he has at his disposal (not bring in improvements is a valid criticism). The real test will be to see what Klopp’s points per games is when he has managed the team as long as Benitez, and for that Jurgen needs to stick around for another 240 games, plenty long enough to iron out the noise. I’m still keeping faith.
Jacko
http://www.football365.com/news/mail...t-not-rashford

To a man, they're complete freaks

Unread 03-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Remove these two blocks of games
Coincidentally when it was two games a week every week

Klopp is arguably the greatest manager in the world when his teams play only at weekends.

Unread 03-10-2017, 04:54 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie

Tbf we were seeking medical advice from someone we'd never met because his username began with Dr

How long did that fella who said it was a pisstake last?

Unread 03-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Tbf we were seeking medical advice from someone we'd never met because his username began with Dr

How long did that fella who said it was a pisstake last?

"Dr Gonzo. He sounded like a real doctor to me."

Unread 03-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Rorschach

Exclamation

I am slightly suspicious of this "Jacko" character, as he refers only to them as 'Liverpool' and does not use their otherwise ubiquitous title of 'Liverpool Football Club.'

Anyroads up, he's a wrong'un.

Unread 03-10-2017, 05:15 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off

"Dr Gonzo. He sounded like a real doctor to me."
You mean he wasn't??

Unread 03-10-2017, 05:29 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
You mean he wasn't??
Up there with Surgeon General Bukake pal.
Closed Thread