United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Toilet sniffer V
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
They were his first 6 years in charge. Compare to Ferguson's first 6 years. Not too different.

09/10
Chelsea 86
United 85

08/09
United 90
Liverpool 86
Chelsea 83

07/08
United 87
Chelsea 85

06/07
United 89
Chelsea 83

05/06
Chelsea 91
United 83

04/05
Chelsea 95
Arsenal 83
United 77

Quite clearly United only won the league 3 times on the bounce from 07-09 because Chelsea were so poor. A repeat of either of these years that Chelsea won would have meant United didn't have a prayer.


You can only do what's infront of you, and the fact is Houllier is a good manager. I'm not saying he's the best or anything or will work wonders, but I said he's 'quite a good manager'. You said he's not and didn't give anything to back your argument up. Now you have given something, it doesn't prove he's a bad manager. In fact you seem to be backing my argument - that 'he's quite a good manager' - up with these stats.
I have to disagree with you. The stats show he was no better than Benitez. Are you suggesting Benitez is quite a good manager too then? Houllier's team didn't move forward, Benitez's didn't either. When SAF joined United, he transformed the club, looking at the league points only gives an unfair comparison as restructuring the youth set up was arguably what has helped us maintain the success for as long as it has.

Houllier is not as good as O'Neill and I didn't think he was as good as some make out. He's a good solid manager whose team probably get a few points more each year than they would with someone shit. He'd never have made them title contenders and neither would Houllier at Liverpool or Benitez. Worth remembering that Villa with Atkinson as manager nearly won the league.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Argentina
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet sniffer V
I have to disagree with you. The stats show he was no better than Benitez. Are you suggesting Benitez is quite a good manager too then? Houllier's team didn't move forward, Benitez's didn't either. When SAF joined United, he transformed the club, looking at the league points only gives an unfair comparison as restructuring the youth set up was arguably what has helped us maintain the success for as long as it has.

Houllier is not as good as O'Neill and I didn't think he was as good as some make out. He's a good solid manager whose team probably get a few points more each year than they would with someone shit. He'd never have made them title contenders and neither would Houllier at Liverpool or Benitez. Worth remembering that Villa with Atkinson as manager nearly won the league.
Right, my point entirely. Thanks for going around the houses to agree.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
S/Side.Red
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Houllier is quite a good manager
Take out the last year or so of his time at Liverpool, before which he improved them quite considerably, and his record in club football is actually pretty good. Won titles in France with two different teams and did some very good work with smaller clubs too. Supposedly did a lot of good work in terms of youth development within the French set-up during the 90's too.

Liverpool had started going backwards before he left, but probably harsh to judge his entire career on that.
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Ginners
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Phil Thompson as his Assistant according to the crazy kids at Sky. Now that would be funny.
hes turned it down, wants to stay at sky ffs
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:38 PM
The Watcher
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

"We're ten games from greatness"

 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Toilet sniffer V
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Right, my point entirely. Thanks for going around the houses to agree.
I was talking about MON. Houllier's not as good as MON.

HTH.
 
Old 08-09-2010, 08:23 PM
red in cumbria
 
Default Re: Houllier to Villa?

And now it is officially
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Houllier to Villa?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aston Villa 3 Brighton 2: Villa the Euro contenders may have mixed feelings fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 25-01-2010 01:50 AM
Sunderland 1 Aston Villa 2: Barry grabs late winner from spot for 10-man Villa fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 19-01-2009 05:00 AM
HULL v Aston Villa: Tigers defender Ricketts free to face Villa after ban fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 30-12-2008 12:20 AM
Manchester Utd 4 Aston Villa 0: Dynamic duo destroy Villa as red-hot United close in on title fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 30-03-2008 04:27 AM
Manchester Utd 4 Aston Villa 0: Dynamic duo destroy Villa as red-hot United close in on title fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 30-03-2008 01:10 AM
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Copyright 2006 - 2018 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.