United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
£#%&!ing hell, so, 20 PL clubs/teams 6 per team, 120 english players, plus you would have to have at least as many subs or you would be £#%&!ed for injuries and suspensions, so 200 ish English players in the prem

There's only about 100 now isn't there? I would think it's unworkable, in every country.

Are there 200 English players who are of sufficient quality to play in the prem ?

And of course these extra 100 english players will want top whack wages as well... will will go against the salary cap that they also want to impose.

Designed to £#%&! over the Prem teams as much as possible whilst minimising the impact on the other european nations.

I'd love Eric to be voted head op Uefa .. he'd show the @#%&!s how to run an association !

Unread 26-02-2009, 06:39 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
£#%&!ing hell, so, 20 PL clubs/teams 6 per team, 120 english players, plus you would have to have at least as many subs or you would be £#%&!ed for injuries and suspensions, so 200 ish English players in the prem

There's only about 100 now isn't there? I would think it's unworkable, in every country.
Seeing as 70% of players in Serie A are Italian, I don't quite see them having such a problem. Looking through various Spanish squads on Wikipedia, La Liga won't be massively affected either.

Unread 26-02-2009, 06:39 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
What's the actual definition? Considering Almunia could play for england.
isn't that the case with cudicini also?

Unread 26-02-2009, 06:43 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
Are there 200 English players who are of sufficient quality to play in the prem ?
170 English players started games last season, 191 the season before. There's plenty other players of sufficient quality but won't get a chance due to the "Foreign = better" mentality.

Unread 26-02-2009, 06:45 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Seeing as 70% of players in Serie A are Italian, I don't quite see them having such a problem. Looking through various Spanish squads on Wikipedia, La Liga won't be massively affected either.
Of sufficient quality?

How many have Madrid got? Barca? And how many make up their first teams?

Inter had 1 Italian on Tuesday.

It would be detrimental to the quality for all leagues, and unenforceable, IMO.

Unread 26-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED PABLO
It's legal according to this "independent" report.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...t-1632812.html

I think the European Commission might disagree.
Spot on. Independent my arse. FIFA commission a report with a clear brief "Tell us how we can get the 6 + 5 rule in and if it's legal" "Duh, ok here you go, that'll be shit loads of Euros please" . It's clearly in breach of EU employment laws and doesn't stand a hope in hell of coming in any time soon

Unread 26-02-2009, 08:08 PM
WarwickRoad

As far as I understand the ruling, the players do not have to be English or even British. As long as they have been a part of the club since the age of 16/17 (I think) then they are considered to be "home grown."

If the ruling came into effect immediately then we could still field the following side:

VDS
Brown
Rio
Vidic
Evra
Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs
Rooney
Berbatov

Subs from: Foster, Nev, Fabio, Raphael, Evans, Hargreaves, Fletcher, Nani, Anderson, O'Shea, Tevez, Wellbeck, Gibson, Park etc.

Many of Arsenal's foreign squad would actually qualify as "home grown", including Fabregas I think. Chelsea and Liverpool would disappear off the face of the planet.

Unread 27-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

there's no restriction on employment at all, it's just a rule governing a sport. fifa don't employ footballers they organise competitions. a club can employ any player who can get a visa and that won't change.

a striker could earn a shit load more money if the offside law was abolished, or if it was illegal to play less than two up front

can he sue the clubs for restraint of trade?
Closed Thread