United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Rossi the Red

Thumbs up How £#%&!ing good was Carrick last night?

Absolutely superb. He can win us the game on saturday if he plays like that.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:25 PM
dunk

He was brilliant.

My overriding memory from our last visit to Parkhead was the excellence of Carrick.

He gets better with every game he plays, I hope he can stay fit for a sustained period.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

7/10

Rossi the Red

He's gotta be up there with the best in the world in his position. I.E - holding midfielder.

Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red
He's gotta be up there with the best in the world in his position. I.E - holding midfielder.
he isnt a holding mdfielder.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Baron

the volleyed pass to Giggs in the centre of the park was great. Could have done with Scholes alongside him to make the most of the quick passing.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarde
he isnt a holding mdfielder.
Course he is

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Course he is
no he isnt. essien, makele, keane, viera, mascherano. these are holding midfielders. carrick is more of an attacking midfielder, hence why we got hargreaves, who is meant to be a holding midfielder.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:34 PM
puressence

ffs he should be good against a championship team

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:35 PM
MJ Ramone

His passing is outstanding.
Thought he had a great game last night.
You can really see that Rooney, Berbatov & co love playing with him.
I like him as a bloke as well. Seems really down to earth & level headed.
He must think it's a piece of piss playing at United!...2 years = 2 League Titles, European Cup, FA Cup Final etc..!

It'll be interesting to see what the midfield is on Saturday.
Carrick has to play (& I'm sure he will)....I'd like Anderson to start alongside him with maybe Fletcher right & Ronaldo left??

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM
borsuk

the only time united have played with a holding m/fder for any length of time was during keane's waning years. under fergie we've always played with two (sometimes three) box to box creative players.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM
koppas

Quote:
Course he is
No he isn't mate.

Makele, Essien, Vieira, Senna, Hargo (when fit) - holding midfielders.

Carrick - creative midfielder.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
no he isnt. essien, makele, keane, viera, mascherano. these are holding midfielders. carrick is more of an attacking midfielder, hence why we got hargreaves, who is meant to be a holding midfielder.
Not sure I'd agree with this matey.
Carrick is not an attacking midfielder but an unorthodox holding midfielder. He sits deep and while his tackling isn't his game, his positioning and passing is his armor.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
Are you being serious?

How the £#%&! is Carrick an attacking midfielder?

Essien, Keane and Viera are box to box midfielders (i know Essien has played as the holding man when needed).

A holding midfielder is someone who protects the back 4. Watch how many times Carrick takes the full backs positions when Evra and Brown were bombing forward last season, always filling in the gaps. In modern football, your back four is nowadays considered the 2 centre backs, and 2 holding midfielders, as full backs are considered an attacking option in the game.

Carrick is not an attacking midfielder, anyone can see that.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Not sure I'd agree with this matey.
Carrick is not an attacking midfielder but an unorthodox holding midfielder. He sits deep and while his tackling isn't his game, his positioning and passing is his armor.
i said he's more of an attacking midfielder, he isnt an out an out attacking midfielder, but he attacks more than he defends.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM
koppas

Quote:
i said he's more of an attacking midfielder, he isnt an out an out attacking midfielder, but he attacks more than he defends.
I would agree with that.

If Carrick and Hargreaves both play together, Carrick is given the license to go further forward and Hargo sits in front of the back four.

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
I would agree with that.

If Carrick and Hargreaves both play together, Carrick is given the license to go further forward and Hargo sits in front of the back four.
exactly, rossi is talking %@#$&!s as usual.

rooney will often run about the pitch and fill in at full back etc, is he a wing back or something? just because carrick helps defend doesnt make him a holding midfielder ffs

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:44 PM
koppas

Rossi will soon be viewing his deriere.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
I would agree with that.

I think that was the idea but I found watching last season that Carrick remained back and Hargo went around everywhere rough housing and running himself into the ground.
I prefer Carrick deep. When he goes forward he doesn't have the time and his shooting leaves a lot to be desired.

Rossi the Red

Quote:
exactly, rossi is talking %@#$&!s as usual.

rooney will often run about the pitch and fill in at full back etc, is he a wing back or something? just because carrick helps defend doesnt make him a holding midfielder ffs
So Rooney is our holding man now is he?

YCNMIU.
Closed Thread